mama scout lab e-course

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

i won't grow up

So come with me, where dreams are born, and time is never planned.  Just think of happy things, and your heart will fly on wings, forever, in Never Never Land!

                                                                    --Peter Pan





















We are in the midst of a little love affair with Peter Pan. I admit, I think I like the story more than my children for its bittersweet sentiments about growing up and the passing of time. The best children's literature seems to speak to the secret thoughts of both young and old.  


We read the novel every few years and this year's reading was amazing. The kids were just the perfect ages to get really wrapped up in the adventure. The creative play that dominates our days now is inspired by lost boys and Peter and Tiger Lily. There is a huge hole in the back yard where an underground house is being built. 

The energy of possibility and adventure in Peter Pan is so infectious; I highly recommend this classic as the perfect sort of bedtime book...the dreams it will spark!

After we read the book, my daughter and I were lucky enough to see the musical (with Cathy Rigby!). To see a nearly 60 year old woman fly through the air, do cartwheels and headstands, while singing beautifully was inspirational. The audience was vibrating with excitement - booing Captain Hook, clapping to restore Tinkerbell's life and smiling and laughing while Rigby flew over the crowd showering us with pixie dust. 

You can watch the entire musical on Netflix streaming - which the boys did to catch up with their sister. They loved it as much as she did. 





So, here is to a youthful and joyous day - full of inspiration and energy and story!

Have you read the original Peter Pan? Do you love it as much as we do?

1 comment:

  1. I lovelovelove Peter Pan.
    or rather, I should say I lovelovelove Captain Hook. When I was little, I was hopeful he'd kidnap me so I could get my pirateness on : )

    I don't think people really understand what a perfect story it is until they've read the novel. One of my favorite works.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...