mama scout lab e-course

Friday, July 3, 2015

The Radical Art of Homeschooling :: a 2 week power lab



A power lab. A burst of ideas and inspiration concerning homeschooling.

In this lab you will discover the radical idea of homeschooling, explore the possibility of creating your own learning environment, and decide how you can implement the ideas into your own life (as a full or part time homeschooler). 

I receive so many of emails asking me about homeschooling. While I am not an expert (on anything really) I have homeschooled my 3 kids from the beginning. I taught in both the public school system and at the university level. And I am a keen observer of those around me. I have some views and ideas and questions that will open a discussion for lab participants. My goal is to help you make the best decision for your family. 

This lab is 2 weeks long (10 labs with essays, questions and resources). We will cover lifestyle, learning spaces and communities, resources, strewing, process, mission statements, how to build a lesson, how to disrupt a lesson, documentation, mama care and more. There will be a loving and nonjudgmental FB group for discussion and support. My hopes is that this inaugural group is the start of a larger collective of parents who share in the love of learning. 

Who is it for?

-Families who are intrigued with homeschooling but have no idea what it is really like. 

-Homeschooling families who are looking for alternative ideas, energy and connection to a wider community.

-People who don't homeschool and really don't think they want to. If your kids are in school but you want to create a vibrant community of learners and help your kids retain their innate sense of curiosity when they are home, you might be one of the growing numbers of part time homeschoolers - parents who do not leave it up to the school system to provide the only educational environment for their kids. 

What this course is not.

-A sales pitch on a particular methodology. I am not going to tell you that I believe any form of homeschooling is the best. The biggest benefit of homeschooling is that it can be customized to fit your family. There is no recipe. This is bespoke. 

-An exhaustive review of curriculum. I am not against curriculum and have used it in certain circumstances. But overall, I would like this lab to focus on tapping into the natural curriculum that is all around you. 

-A system of enforcing kid compliance. I am interested in opening the world up to my kids and creating a family curiosity collective. I am learning as much as they are in our explorations. I rely on relationship and conversation above tests and a top down education model. In our family, the adults are both leaders and co-learners. 

Who am I?

I have homeschooled 3 kids from the beginning. Homeschooling was not something I really thought about until I had kids and started reading and thinking about my own school experience. I succeeded in school but really thought it was a sham. A game that I easily figured out how to punk. I left feeling cheated, like I did not get an education at all. I was schooled in how to survive systems (which admittedly has its own worth). Social systems, grading systems, bullshit systems…. I understood them, but they did not fulfill my mind and heart or stoke my love of learning. Combined with my experiences teaching in the public school system and at the university level as a graduate student, I decided to do something different for my kids. I wanted to open the world up to them. And for our family to live and grow together. 


We start soon. Register here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...