mama scout lab e-course

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

family writing lab :: sensing colors


After reading this simple and moving book, we were inspired to think about how we might describe colors with senses other than sight. Each person in our family picked a color and brainstormed how their color would taste, sounds, smell, or feel. They then wrote up their idea with a sharpie marker on watercolor paper and then painted their page further exploring their color. 



For those who needed help with dictation, I helped. But on the whole, each kid really took control of their color. 

This was a great way to write with my kids and make something artistic and poetic together. We hung it on the wall for now, but will bind it into a book later.


I love how each kids' (and adults') interests and personalities are evident in their description. I am sure it is something I will treasure in years to come.


Do you write with your children? What are some of the projects you have done?


5 comments:

  1. Love this so very much. Thanks for sharing. My girls will love doing this project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat book this will make! Thanks for sharing with Learning Laboratory at Mama Smiles =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this idea very much!! Thanks for sharing with Look What We Did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely way to combine writing with artistic expression! They look beautiful together. I just pinned this so I won't forget to offer this project to the kids. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your kids came up with wonderful descriptions for the colors! I used to do something like this with my 4th graders during our poetry unit and had so much fun with it! Sharing this on my FB page. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...