mama scout lab e-course

Monday, July 11, 2011

guerrilla art mama

I have been wanting to do some serious guerrilla art with my kids lately. Leaving quotes and words in public places is sorta a classic, and one that they love. We have done this several times over the past few years with my daughter really getting into it. She likes to leave messages at restaurants mixed in with the sugar packets.




So, today we left messages all around Target. These shots are from the bathroom. The Ram Das quote can be read a few different ways :)




In the cell phones section, we left this message:


Talk to strangers, often.


And in with the agendas:


There are years that ask questions, and years that answer them.
-Zora Neale Hurston.


This is so simple, but kids love it! The excitement and adrenalin mixed with the idea that they are leaving messages for others to find is infectious. My daughter likes to leave messages like, "you are great!" and "your shoes are really nice." The boys are more into being lookouts and practicing their ninja skills.


I would like to do something bigger with them, but what? It should be something that puts us out of our comfort zone or maybe something really secret and generous.


My biggest inspiration for projects like this is Keri Smith and 52 Projects.


And be sure to check out poetry bombing.


Have you ever done anything like this? Would you?

11 comments:

  1. OMG! I love LOVE LOVE it! i'm now inspired to leave messages in surprising places. xo teri@giddy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. brilliant: poetry bombing. sew clever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic -- my kids would love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you do this with your kids. Love it. To up the ante you could make artists books and "shelve" them in the library for a patron to find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great idea! i do not know if i could make an art book and then give it away.... have you hear of the toy society?

    http://thetoysociety.blogspot.com/

    they encourage people to make and leave handmade toys in public.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is awesome! I'll have to add this to my list along with geocaching with my LO when he gets older.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like we're blogging sisters both when I see what you pin and what you blog about. I've held a moms art night before where we created guerilla art to leave in places like the library and my kids get really excited about leaving secret messages too. Ooh- I wonder if there would be a way to somehow collaborate on a project...(in this digital world there must be...) Any how I love your quote; fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I leave books wherever I finish reading them. Inside the front cover written in pencil it says: This is your lucky day, you have found this book along your way. When you have read it and are through pass it along to someone new. I like to leave them in the airport the best since I am always looking for a book to read but I have left them in the park, the grocery store, the post office, hair dresser... wherever I happen to be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is wonderful. How much fun and a wonderful thing to share with your kids. I think my oldest would really like doing this! Thank you so much for sharing on the Kids Co-Op weekly linky!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been wanting to paint hearts on rocks with my kids, then leave them around town for others to find. I think it would just brighten someone's day and the idea of that makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this and it made me smile. Especially messages in the sugar packets, as well as leaving notes in Target! I leave painted rocks with little messages on my hikes.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...