mama scout lab e-course

Monday, September 5, 2011

biggest popover ever



Move over waffles, these German pancakes have kicked you out of top billing! I am always on the lookout for a healthy and fast hot breakfast (or tea time snack) and this is it! It is ironic that I have made popovers alot (which is basically what this is) and annoyingly they stick half the time for no apparent reason. This solves the problem of the sticking as well as not having to clean out the muffin tin. Double score! I told you I am always looking for ease.

what you need
6 eggs
1 cup of milk (or soy)
1 cup of flour
2 T butter (I use salted for a little salty edge which complements the sweet sugar dust)

Use whatever topping you want. I can not get beyond a squirt of lemon and slight dusting of confectioners sugar. But you could use maple syrup, Nutella, hot apple sauce, cinnamon and sugar, fruit jam - you get the idea! Any sweet flavor profile will work on this.

what you do
Preheat the oven to 400 with a big cast iron pan inside. I have seen this done with a regular casserole pan too - but have not tried it. The cast iron is pretty amazing!

Mix the eggs, milk and flour. A blender is great for this.

When the oven is preheated, take out the hot pan and melt the butter in it. Swirl it around.

Pour in the batter and cook for 20 minutes.

Call your kids to watch you take it out of the oven. It will be huge and then will slowly deflate. A little theatre with breakfast always starts the day off good I think.

That is is! I cut it up into slices and serve. My kids really love it.



Do you make these? What is your favorite topping?

4 comments:

  1. yummy!!! great idea posting it to my pintrest page :_

    ReplyDelete
  2. we've never tried these but thinking it needs to go on the list of must make for the week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I have made them with all the "healthy" flours, trying them all to see which come out best. To be honest, my kids don't like it much. What flour did you use?

    I love it, cuz its fast & easy. I just put some fruit & coconut flakes on top. Delish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make them with king arthur all purpose, but have made them with whole wheat too. the ww was good, just a bit heavier.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...