mama scout lab e-course

Saturday, June 23, 2012

oh my, onion tarte

from the archives


This onion tarte recipe (Alice Waters) is so unbelievably good. This is one of those recipes where something truly magical happens in the oven. The sum is so much greater than the individual parts.





This dough is a breeze to make and feels so good to work with. You can make it ahead of time and keep it in the fridge. Maybe make a few and experiment with other fillings...mushroom, tomato, grilled eggplant!



I actually used 3# of onion this time because I love them so much. My husband said it was too much - I think it was perfect. So, adjust based on your personal tastes. I also threw in some shallots.


You might think the onions are cooked earlier, but go for the whole 30 minutes. Basically, you are making an onion-y jam and the more they cook, the sweeter they become.


No tricks here, just roll out thin, throw the chilled onions on top and pull a rustic crust up along the sides to hold all that goodness. Brush with an egg was to make it shine!
When it comes out, you will have to restrain yourself for a bit to let it cool and set up. Maybe 15-30 minutes. This is perfect with a salad or some white wine. And it is great at room temperature, so you can take it on a picnic or to a potluck.

I promise this was not burnt - just perfectly, caramelized and roasted. Truly heaven.... Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Oh. My. God. This looks amazing. I have a huge stash of onions that I need to do something with. This, may just be the thing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *love* Alice and I'll have to make that tart-- I still have spring onions left from our harvest. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...